Friday, May 14, 2010

Super Saver looking for second leg of Triple Crown

Ok, I set the bar high, with my prediction of Super Saver to win the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago, but my second and third horses disappointed. But I feel good about the Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

I might be in love with Calvin Borel. He gets up for the big races and leads his horses to smart victories. Borel won the Preakness last year aboard Rachel Alexandra and I think he’ll win this year with Super Saver.

Super Saver won the Kentucky Derby by 2.5 lengths, but I think the Preakness’ shorter track could make it a little more difficult. I still like the 5-2 favorite to win, especially coming out of the eighth post.

Jackson Bend was my sleeper pick in the Derby, but jockey Mike Smith pulled the horse up after getting jammed in some traffic early. Jackson Bend (12-1 in the Preakness) ended up finishing 12th, but I like the horses chances Saturday. I like Smith as a jockey and I always keep an eye on his horse since he won the Kentucky Derby aboard Giacomo.

Looking at Lucky was the odds favorite going into the Kentucky Derby and ended up in sixth place. The horse is favored at 3-1 this Saturday and has a better record on shorter tracks, winning three times at 1 1/16 mile since October. Look for Looking at Lucky to get off to a good start out of the seventh post and finish near the front of the pack.

Paddy O’Prado is going off at 9-2 and is also tempting, but I don’t like his starting position. He’ll be No. 10 in a 12-horse field. I decided to leave him off my trifecta because of that.

I have to pick a long-shot horse for fun. I don’t know much about Aikenite, but he’s supposed to be a fast starter. On a hard, dry Pimlico track that could mean good things for the horse, who will break from the inside post. I like Aikenite to, maybe not win, but surprise some people with a solid race.

My Picks.

1. Super Saver (5-2)

2. Jackson Bend (12-1)

3. Looking at Lucky (3-1)

Sleeper – Aikenite (20-1)

Good luck if you’re betting, and if not enjoy the race. Coverage of the 135th Preakness will begin at 4:30 p.m. on NBC. Be sure to check on I Am Sportacus to see if I keep gloating, or if I’m humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive